Phototsystem II is the first protein in the light harvesting reactions in the photosynthetic process in plants, algae, and cyanobacteria. Its role: to split water into elemental oxygen and harvest electrons and protons from water, using just light energy. The key characteristic of this protein is its complex interactions with ligands of Chlorophyll a, Plastoquinone, Pheophytin, and β-Carotene. Photosystem II is considered one of the most important proteins to ever evolve, as it is the source of nearly all oxygen in our atmosphere. It maintains the ozone layer that protects us from the sun's harmful UV radiation and supplies the reduced equivalents to fix carbon into organic molecules.
PS II consists of two main proteins: the Light-Harvesting Complex (LHC) and the Oxygen Evolving center (OEC). These two proteins work in tandem to split water into elemental oxygen, protons, and electrons.
Protein Data and InformationEdit
- Wikipedia: Phtosystem II
- Wikipedia: Light-harvesting complex
- Architecture of the photosynthetic oxygen evolving center RCSB search (acsession code 1S5L)
- Crystal Structure of Spinach Major Light-harvesting complex RCSB search (acsession code 1RWT)
- 1S5L NCBI Protein search for the Oxygen evolving center.
- 1RWT NCBI search for the Light-harvesting complex
- EBI Data base sech for "Photosystem II"
- InterPro Photosystem II Light harvesting Complex
- UniProtKB Seach for Photosystem II of Synechococcus elongatus
- UniProtKB Search for the Light harvesting complex in Arabidopsis lyrata
- Rogelio: Photosystem II: Introduction
- Rogelio: Photosystem II: Biological function
- Rogelio: Photosystem II: Biosynthesis
- Rogelio: Photosystem II: Gene sequence
- Rogelio: Photosystem II: Amino acid sequence and composition
- Rogelio: Photosystem II: Secondary and tertiary structure
- Rogelio: Photosystem II: Domains and structural motifs
- Rogelio: Photosystem II: Interactions with macromolecules and small molecules
- Rogelio: Photosystem II: Molecular biodiversity and evolution
- Rogelio: Photosystem II: Literature overview
- Rogelio: Photosystem II: Useful online resources